Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Patience (pa' shuns)

n.  The capacity, quality, or fact of being patient.

Patient: adj. Bearing or enduring pain, difficutly, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.
                   Capable of calmly awaiting an outcome or result

Huh?

Could someone please draw a picture?

I so don't get it. 

I used to think that I was a patient person.

I used to think that no matter what, I wouldn't allow anything to get me worked up. 

I might have to go back on that thought.

So really.  How patient does a person have to be?  How patient is patient enough? 



I read a verse like this.  "Be ye also patient: stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh."  James 5:8

And a verse like this.  "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him:......."  Psalms 37:7a



And I wonder if I am as impatient while waiting for the coming of my Lord as I am while waiting for a court date for our son. 

I know the answer.  It's not a good one.  Here lately I catch myself thinking more about heading back to Russia than I do about the coming of my Lord.

Not good.  Not good at all.



As much as I want to go to Russia tomorrow...or today would be fine, too...I should long for heaven even more.  As much as I want to hold little Jack Nickolay in my arms, I should want to be held by the arms of Jesus even more.  As much as I want to sing little songs in Jack's ears, I should want to sing praises to Jesus even more.

Where are my priorities?  Why am I not exercising my patience to see my Lord more than exercising my patience to see Jack?

This wait is hard, but it is forcing me to review my faith.  It is forcing me to remember that my life is not my own.  It is forcing me to study God's Word.  To seek out His direction on how to be a patient person.  To learn once again how to trust Him completely.

So really?  This wait is likely good for me.  I'm learning a lot.  Though one would think that the last adoption journey would have taught me all that I ever needed to know.

In the end, I always return to my all-time favorite verse in the Bible.  "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."  Psalms 27:14



He, and He alone, will give me the needed strength to practice patience.  He will take our little family back to Russia at just the right time.

Though if it could be before our bloodwork and x-rays expire on December 13 & 14 that would be really, really nice.

6 comments:

alee said...

ugh...I only slightly understand your impatience..I may understand better in a few months :)praying for you...may you rest in HIM as HE works in HIS time...

alee said...

whoops I was going to say your CO.pic.s are lovely :)too...

Heather said...

It is so easy to lose focus and mix up our priorities. So glad God is full of grace for us!

Abe and Saloma said...

I hear ya sister! LOUD AND CLEAR! I may not be waiting to bring my son home from Russia but I hear ya still. "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint." Isa. 40:31 TEACH ME LORD TO WAIT!!!!! And teach Jody too while you're at it! :)

Shannan Martin said...

Oh, this hits home for me. Thank you for the reminder (and the beautiful scenery!)

Thanks also for your soap box comment. ;) It's obvious that you get it! Your children are beautiful. Can't wait to "meet" Jack!

Brenda said...

You know what I got figured out on Wed. AGAIN?

Patience is a choice. Nobody can make me be impatiant. I have control over that. Then Thursday I was tested. First-frustrated second- laughed third-cried. So have I learnt anything? nope! Don't think so.