I did it. Something I stated emphatically in the past that I would never do.
I bribed my children.
I know. Isn't it pathetic? I bribed my children.
It's true.
There are some days that I have to wonder if there is even one tiny little thought that passes the horizon of their brains that doesn't erupt out of the mouth.
Every. Single. Thought. Every one comes out. Loudly. In full force.
I never have to wonder what they are thinking. If by some chance they happen to stow their thoughts away before they come out, their feelings show completely on their faces.
I'm told that this is a good thing. If they are still telling me everything when they are 16, it'll be good. I know that. But sometimes the noise is deafening. I don't know if I would even notice it if there were 8 more children camping out at our house. It's that loud.
I sometimes turn green when I meet up with families who have quiet, calm little tykes running around...make that walking. I'm sure that other people's children don't run around like wild things.
The other day, I bribed them with a sucker. I know. They are that desparate for candy.
It actually worked.
My poor, tired-of-the-screeching brain got a much needed rest....and after twenty whole minutes of not one sound out of the children, they got the sought-after suckers.
Of course, after they ate them, the noise tripled from the sugar high, but the silence was golden while it lasted.
I finally went to check on them to see what they were doing that was so quiet. I thought maybe they would be hiding in a closet somewhere whispering.
I didn't have to look far for Will. He was standing in the doorway quietly staring at me while I fixed supper.
Addie was busily putting clothes away....AFTER she folded all of them.
I think I need to do that bribery thing more often.
Apparently if you can't make noise there is no sense in playing.
Think of the work that would get done.......
No comments:
Post a Comment