Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Spelling Of Love

A few days ago, we got our first snow of the season.  Not a lot, mind you, but enough that it had the children bouncing off the walls.  Oh, they could hardly wait to get all bundled up to head out the door.

Until they discovered that it was like 15* out there.

BUT.  They have a mean mom.  She was feeling the need to have a little peace and quiet while attempting to do book work and ever-so-kindly requested that they stay outside til she told them they could come in.

Really.  It didn't feel like it was 15*.  I did stick my nose out a little crack in the open door to test the chilliness before sending them out.  I'm not that mean.

Unfortunately, they didn't enjoy being out there as much as I was planning.  Not until I reminded them of how much fun sledding down the hill was last year.  They bit.  And enjoyed it.

Practicing their stopping, dropping, and rolling.


But still.  About every 10 minutes, here they came.  Pounding on the door.  Screeching for mommy.  There were no subtle hints that they were ready to come in. 

The queen being pulled....cause 'boys hafta learn how to treat girls'

I pacified them by telling them that I would come out to play soon.  I didn't say how soon, but it made them happy. 

Boy, did they squeal.  They had been begging me to come out and finally mommy broke.  Even when she had piles of book work staring her in the face.

Finally, I made it out the door.  It was cold.  Really cold.  But the children were playing so hard pretending to be cows that Addie had taken her hat off.  Her coat wasn't even fastened all the way.  She was sweating in 15* weather.


Much to Will's dismay, the cow got away before he could give her a shot....aka. jab her with a stick.

I suggested that we take a walk to the pasture to visit Daddy (Never did like to play in the snow.  It's cold.).  They were pumped.  However, I realized quickly that they had ulterior motives.

In their words....."Why don't you pull us on the sled, Mommy? I think you need some exercise." 

What?!  THEY think I need some exercise?!  It must be bad.

I caved.  They piled on the sled in a heap of giggles and off we trekked to the pasture.


Of course I had my camera with me....did you doubt that?  My camera is like an extension of my arm.  It goes where I go.



The walk to the pasture ended up making me sweat....er....perspire.  Up and down the little hills.  I definitely got my needed exercise.  That should do for the winter.

Their day got better when Daddy took the time to hook the sled up behind the tractor.  Giggles and squeals were abundant.



Of course, with the speedier sledding, the wind-in-the-face was a little more brisk.  Before too long they were begging to head back to the house. 


Their legs wouldn't even work and, once again, Mommy was roped into pulling them to the house. 


After putting Pumper away from his stint romping in the yard, we headed inside for a little hot chocolate to warm our innards.

The children were ecstatic.  An hour or two in the snow with mommy and daddy.  What could possibly be better?! 

And, once again, I realized something.  It doesn't matter how many gifts we buy them for Christmas.  It doesn't matter how many meals/snacks I fix for them each day.  It doesn't matter......

Cause, although all those things show them that we truly love them? 

The one sure way that they will know that we love them is through our t.i.m.e.

1 comment:

Amber Layman said...

Love this! I too, am not much of a 'cold weather' lover. I dread the piles of wet clothing dripping on my kitchen floor, the boots to tie, the zippers to zip and the gloves to pull on. And yet... the memories and rosy cheeks are some of my favorites. To 'break down' and play in the snow with our children, IS a great gift to them AND us! These pictures are beautiful... you will never regret that your camera is an extension to your arm.