Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Going.

School, that is.  Slowly, but surely, we're plugging away.

I can't say that it is the favorite part of my week.  That would be far from the truth.  Sleeping still gets the number one spot on that list.

Teaching school would likely be down on say...oh, let's go with number 14.  And that makes it fall after cooking and probably even cleaning.

That's how much I really don't enjoy it.

It gets done.  Some days quickly, as it should, and some days s.l.o.w.l.y.  Really slowly.  Like, as in, school- lasts-til-four-or-later slowly.

Those days are the days that I am more than ready to haul every last school item to the attic and to declare that we will never be hosting kindergarten in this home again.  It overstayed it's welcome.

I can hear you now.  Why does it last til four o'clock?  What a good question.  Let's just say that we have a little girl with a mind of her own.  A little girl who isn't afraid to stand up and declare that she likes to make letters (actually numbers, in this case) just a little different than the book says "cause it's easier this way".  A little girl who will sit for hours without picking up her pencil simply because she is determined that she will win.

This would be a common every-day stance for her.  She has the hands-on-hips down pat.

On the flip side.  The little girl has a mommy.  And her mommy was likely as stubborn as the little girl back in her day.  I think that must be the case as the mommy can be just as stubborn as the little girl now.  And the mommy hears frequently that the little girl is a carbon copy of her.  Poor little girl.

So some days school isn't very fun.  It seems like the not-so-fun days end up on Thursday or Friday, so this kindergarten teacher has made a decision.  If we are capable of having three good days a week and have two "bad" days a week, why not schedule it that way?  So what if we're still doing kindergarten when she should be entering fifth grade.  Our school now takes place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 

This is the first week for our new schedule.  So far, so good.  The breaks have been lovely.  For all involved. 

And, I think.....we might still like each other at the end of the year, too.  That would be a definite bonus.

3 comments:

lisa said...

Sorry, Jody, but I am sitting here grinning from ear to ear and chuckling!

I love love love how God makes families. Bio or not, HE is the maker of families. It never ceases to amaze me how he puts children and parents together-usually outsiders are stunned to find out our son is adopted. He is SO MUCH like his dad....in every way!

I would assume your mom doesn't have a lot of sympathy for you?! :-}

Blessings to you,
Lisa

Sew a Fine Seam said...

I have a first grader who does a composition paper every day. She is supposed to be learning the real spelling of the words she writes as she sounds them out. The other day I corrected the spelling of a word as she was spelling it out loud before writing it. She wasn't impressed with my correct spelling and announced that she was spelling it HER way 'cause she liked it better!
You are not alone!! I get so weary some days!

Amber Layman said...

This sounds sooo familiar. My first Kindergartner picked up his pencil, after stubbornly sitting there for hours, and wrote, "NO" very big across his worksheet. I cried and was sure I was never going to make it... and yet a part of me was so thankful that he had spelled 'no' correctly!