Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Friday, November 5, 2010

Tale of a Horse

The horse.  Oh.  The horse.  Likely the only horse in history that was priveleged enough to ride in the cab of a pick-up with two ladies and two children.

Six months ago, we went to see a most adorable cat sized newborn horse.  He was only a few days old at the time.  Addie was enthralled.


She wanted to take him home so badly right then and there.  We didn't.  In fact, it really wasn't even a topic of discussion in our household, cause Jason had already declared that we would never have a horse on the property....and especially not a miniature horse.  In his words, "They look odd."  I respectfully disagree.

Addie talked about the cute little horse for quite a while.  Finally, she gave up, cause Daddy didn't like horses.

Then one day, Grandpa called.  He informed our little family that the baby horse was finally ready for a new home....if we were interested.  Of course!!  I just had to convince my husband that he really and truly wanted a horse. 

Between Addie and myself, we had our work cut out for us.  It finally paid off and we were able to let 'the horse man' know that we would take the most adorable cat-sized horse. 

Then we went to Russia.  Then we came home and Jason went straight to the field.  I stewed and fretted about when and how we were going to bring home our cat-sized horse.  Jason hadn't a clue that I was concerned about it as I never mentioned it for fear of him changing his mind.

One fine fall day, I decided that the time had come to get the horse.  I called my mom, and she agreed to be my sidekick as I really didn't know the 'horse man' from Adam. 

The children and I loaded up in the pick-up and headed off to pick up mom...and the horse.  We didn't need a trailer cause, you know, the horse was so small.  I kind of forgot that horses grow.  Quite a bit actually.


Um.  Yeah.  It was about this point that I started wishing that I had dragged the trailer behind the pick-up.  The trailer that was parked in our driveway.

Addie looked like this.

Being the mean ole mom that I am, I wouldn't tell the children where we were headed.  Turns out she isn't fond of surprises.  I mean, she loved/loves the horse, but she was clear tough with me for quite a while....even after we arrived back home with horse in tow.  She informed me that she never wants me to surprise her again.  She was serious.

Anyway.  She was shocked, though quite concerned what Daddy was going to say when he found out that we were getting a horse.  :)  After all, Daddy doesn't like horses.

Then the fun began.  The little guy wasn't so little anymore.  I really didn't think it would be a problem of any great magnitude, though.  Stick a halter on him and tie him fast with the baler twine that was floating around in the bed of the pick-up.  Simple.  No problem.  The others heave hoe'd the now not-so-little horse into the bed of the pick-up while I snapped photos.  Without a photographer how do you remember special moments like getting a horse for the first time?



Our plan worked great.  For at least a mile.  The little guy would freak, I'd calm him down.  He'd freak again.  I'd calm him down.  He'd freak again....and slipped right out of his halter.  Thankfully, the kind 'horse man' had looped a rope around his neck as a precaution or the not-so-little guy would have jumped right out of the bed of the pick-up.

This was snapped mere minutes before the frantic horse-catching-before-he-jumped took place.

Then the fun began.  With much deliberation, Mom and I decided that our best option at that point would be to shove him in the backseat of the pick-up.  Knowing my husband, I knew that he most definitely would not support that decision, but we proceeded.  After much pushing and pulling, the little fella jumped in and there he stood on a paper feed bag that we had scrounged up.  We zipped home as fast as we legally could and push/pulled him out the door and into his new realm.  No mess.  Whew.  Jason wasn't pleased, but by then the deed was done.

Little Pumper was fairly uncontrollable that first day.  Ask Mom.  She babysat for the children and horse while I raced to town to buy the needed equipment for a horse (you know, it was a secret, so it couldn't be purchased before-hand).  The children badly wanted to lead the un-leadable horse and tried.  Unfortunately for mom, he escaped their grasp...and nearly made it to the road before she caught him.  I would've loved to see that chase.....

Now?  Pumper is quite docile.  He lets the children lounge on him. 



He is staked in our yard til Jason can fix up a pen for him.....I do put him in the barn overnight, but like him to get fresh air during the day.   

If you ever get a horse, I'd recommend dragging a trailer just in case.  Cause horses do grow.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a mom won't do for her children.....but oh, what fun we have!!

Abe and Saloma said...

This thrilled my children to NO END! :) I would have to agree with Addie though....surprises make me queasy! BTW, tell Jason that you really don't need a "pen" for a mini horse....an old falling down chicken house does the trick at this house! :)