Long ago, about nine years ago by now, I was teaching school at a little private school. I loved my job. I loved working with the children. I loved it all. Sure, there were parts that I didn't really care for. One of those parts (and nothing against any of them) was that I really didn't enjoy working with the parents. Face it. We as parents get pretty protective of our children!!!
Oh my. I forgot how many students were really in my care. Did they learn anything at all? Really? They may not like me too well if they happen to see this pic posted on-line. If you know them....send them here to check it out. :)
That one part got me to thinking. I knew of a girl who was living in Romania working with orphan children at the time. I really didn't know her, but I thought.....'Wow. I could do that. I could work with the children and not have to deal with any parents.' The thought process of an twenty year old is interesting.
Seriously. Did I really think that just because they were orphans there would be no problems?! Obviously I didn't have a clue.
However, I started planning. I talked to the girl in Romania and made plans to visit over my Christmas break that year. I was researching ticket prices when Jason came bombarding into my life. Bombarding would be putting it mildly.
One lovely September evening I was talking to a board member of the school where I was employed. I was on the phone for quite a while....and immediately after I hung up, the phone rang again. It was my mom. (I was not living with my parents at the time....I was living with my grandparents. My cousin had moved in with them to be closer to her job and when they left for Arizona for the winter, I moved in with her at their place. They came home....and I stayed there. Why?! I don't know. Poor them.)
Mom wondered who I was talking to. I told her it was a board member. She didn't believe me. After a couple minutes of pestering she finally got through to me that some guy had called wanting to talk to me. Not a good sign that he called my parents home. Any guys that I knew knew where I lived. I begged her to keep talking so the line would be tied up and he couldn't get through. After all....I had plans to head to Romania (for life, in my mind) and didn't need some fella barging in on my plans. MY plans, notice.
Turns out, God had other plans for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment