What a lazy week. Just the kind of week that I love to have. Nothing quite like looking at the calendar and realizing that there is only one day with anything written on it.
Monday was the day that I finally made it to Jason's sister's house to clean. And did it ever need it. We left there in a mad dash the day that we moved two weeks ago. The careful plan that I had laid to head back the next day to spiff things up didn't happen. Once we were finally home again, I found that I was quite content to just stay home.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the best plan in the world for her house. I was disgusted to find out that I had left potato peelings in the sink, and food chunks under the table. Sheets were all washed but the beds still had to be made. Cobwebs were abundant.
How in the world do cobwebs form anyway? We'd only been gone for two weeks.
The day we moved was a hectic one. Jason found out as I was fixing lunch that he had about 1 1/2 hours to make it to the vet with his sick ram...and in that time we had to eat lunch, throw all our belongings into the pickup, take it to our house, unload it all, hitch the trailer, load the ram. Therefore, everything was done in a mad dash. Hence, the wreck. I'd like to think that it would have been better cleaned up had I had more time.....
Susan would have been apalled had she walked into her house before it had been cleaned. I was apalled. It made me think of the return of Jesus and of a poem that I memorized years ago while still in school.
IF JESUS CAME TO YOUR HOUSE
If Jesus came to your house to spend a day or two,
If He came unexpectedly, I wonder what you'd do?
Oh, I know you'd give your nicest room to such an honored guest,
And all the food you'd serve to Him would be the very best.
And you would keep assuring Him you're glad to have Him there,
That serving Him in your home is joy beyond compare.
But when you saw Him coming, would you meet Him at the door,
With arms outstretched to welcome in your heavenly visitor?
Or would you have to change your clothes before you let Him in,
Or hide some magazines and put the Bible where they'd been?
Would you turn off the radio and hope He hadn't heard,
And wished you hadn't uttered that last loud nasty word.
Would you hide your worldly music and put some hymn books out?
Could you let Jesus come right in, or would you rush about?
Oh, I wonder if the Savior came to spend a day with you,
Would you just go on doing the things you always do?
Would you go right on saying the things you always say?
Would life for you continue as it does from day to day?
Would our family conversation keep up it's usual pace,
Or would you find it hard each meal to say a table grace?
Would you sing the songs you always sing and read the books you read,
And let Him know the things on which your mind and spirit feed?
Would you take Jesus with you everywhere you planned to go,
Or would you maybe change your plans, for just a day or so?
Would you be glad to have Him meet with all your closest friends,
Or would you hope they'd stay away until His visit ends?
Would you be glad to have Him stay forever on and on,
Or would you sigh with great relief when He at last was gone?
It might be interesting to know the things that you would do,
If Jesus came in person to spend the day with you!
-Written by Lois Blanchard Eades, sung by Red Sovine
The whole time I was cleaning, that poem, the bits and pieces that I remembered, kept cruising through my mind. Seriously, what if she had come home earlier than we thought she was going to? How embarrassed I would have been had she come home to see the disarray that her little place was in.
Trash bags sitting in the garage, dirt left on the floor that was dragged in from our car. The place was an absolute wreck.
I could make you a whole list of excuses to try to make myself look good, but really there is no excuse.
In the same way, I have no excuse to offer Jesus if He questions me on my reading choices, or on the music I listen to, or on the words that come out of my mouth, or on the way I treat my family when I get a little worked up, or on the thoughts that run through my mind if my husband kind of irks me.
He knows all that without actually showing up physically at my house for a day. He lives with me all the time.
Do I really and truly think that He's not going to see me? How silly if I do think that.
Anyway. We got the house cleaned up and the mess it was in offered me the opportunity to think about my own life on a day to day basis. Sometimes it's good to have some physical evidence to show just how easy it is to get off track.
Tuesday morning we did nothing. It was grand. It gave me the chance to clean up my own house a little. I'm amazed at just how much cleaning up I do on daily, no hourly, basis.
(Creating a fake laugh..one of his new favorite pasttimes)
Tuesday afternoon I took Addie to music class. Of course, JN went with me too, but Will got to go with Jason to work on the drill at his parent's. That worked out well for us all, Will going with Jason!! He loves going to work with Daddy, and, quite frankly, I love it when he goes too!!
Addie loves her music class. She comes home singing her little heart out. Nothing quite like hearing your child singing her way through the day. If a song is coming out, the heart is happy.
Then. We went shopping. Plant shopping. The day that I have been looking forward to ever since I saw our poor bedraggled plants that were frozen beyond repair when our furnace quit. I love having plants sitting around the house. Splashes of color, and I don't have to do much decorating.
Just a note. If you want some new houseplants, go buy them now. They're all on sale before they start getting new spring shipments. Bought seven large plants (two of them were well over four feet tall) for $70. I was pleased. I was even more pleased when I had insurance money to whip out to pay for them!!
Wednesday was a dreary day outside, so we were in much of the day. Bout time to wash the dishes after lunch, Addie started sputtering around about having a really ouchy ear. Not that I was surprised. Any time she gets a slight cold she ends up with an earache/infection as well. She's now on Sudafed for Children as that has worked in the past to keep it from hitting full blown infection stage. What amazed me is that it happened to hit right as I said it was time to wash dishes. :) She still had to wash the dishes...then she lounged on the couch with an onion stuck in her ear to take away the pain. Laugh all you want. It worked. Though I do think she is getting a bug or something. While playing with her 'laptop' she had to rest her head on her desk for a while as she was too tired to keep 'typing'. That's just not her.
Thursday we, the children and I, spent another day cooped up in the house. It was cool and wet outside, and that just doesn't seem like overly grand outdoor playing weather. Addie's ear didn't bother her at all. Next time...I'm heading for an onion again. Will was just Will all day, and Jack was just Jack. Though all he wanted to do was be held...so you can just imagine how much got accomplished around here.
Mid afternoon Dad and Mom came over to get Dad's smashed thumb doctored. You didn't know I'm a doctor? Me neither. In fact, I really don't enjoy doctoring in the least. They came, used my stuff, and Mom actually did the doctoring. Cheaper than heading to the ER and hopefully just as effective.
Not an overly exciting week, I'll have to say. How did this post get so long? Nothing happened, and yet you've likely polished off at least one cup of coffee reading about our uneventful week.
In closing, here's an update on the potty training. I'll have to say that there is basically no technique involved. He's running around with no diaper and no pants on as that helps me to remember to perch him on the potty chair. It's either I remember or I clean up messes!! He scooches all over the house on his potty chair simply cause I'm too....um....undisciplined to sit beside him waiting no him to go, and he's too much of a momma boy to be somewhere that I am not. Does that all make sense? Potty training here at our house isn't that huge of a deal...we just do what works and hope that it works in a timely manner.
AND...in other news. Look what my wonderful husband did.
(Photo credits to Addie Zhanna....not too bad for a first time photographer)
Flowers. And it's not even my birthday or Valentine's Day. Though he said they were for a belated Valentine's bouquet.
Not only did I get flowers, but he got a miniature bouquet for his other lady friend. Our daughter. He buys her flowers every year for either Valentine's Day or her birthday...or sometimes both. She loves it.
Will was a little ticked that Daddy didn't put his name on the cards too. Jason assured him that sometime he can get flowers for Mommy and Addie. That's all it took. Now he can't wait til he's big enough to buy flowers for us. For some reason I doubt if he will still have a desire to buy his mom and sister flowers when he's old enough to be buying flowers.
I have been well blessed.
2 comments:
GREAT Job on the picture Adddie!!! You are taking after your mother! <3 Belle
Have I told you lately that I love reading your blog...well, there. I said it. =) Have a happy weekend!
Autumn R.
Post a Comment