After a loooonnnnnnggggg break from school, we're finally back to the desk.
Some days it's good. Some days it's bad.
Guess we all have days like that.
The five weeks in Russia went so quickly, and we only accomplished two weeks worth of work.
We were far too busy playing pool to teach school.
The two weeks at Jason's sister's house we were too lazy. I think we got about one weeks worth done.
Now we're home, and we really have no excuses to not have school on a daily, or near daily, basis.
The boxes are nearly all unpacked and I'm pretending that the stacks of stuff lining the walls in Will's bedroom don't exist. Our schedule is nearly back on track. We're all caught up on sleep.
And so. School is in full swing. We still have ten weeks worth of lessons to do.
She's learning much actually. At the beginning of the year, I couldn't even get her to remember her letters from one day to the next.
Now? She's reading. Very slowly. Very, very slowly. But she's doing it.
I truly do believe in miracles.
Just two and a half years ago, she was on the level of a one year old child. Within a year she had nearly caught up to her own age. Now at nearly six, she's just about right on target. Sure, she still has a serious infatuation with pretending to be an animal (is she the only nearly six year old to do that?) and she still loves to pretend that she's a baby. Both of those things drive me crazy, and then I feel bad. She missed out on being a baby and aparently she still needs some of that. The animal thing? I just plain don't get.
Anyway. She's come so far. Just two and a half years ago she looked like this....
Today she looked like this. Reading her own little story about 'Sam's Pet'. She was thrilled.
And I was thrilled too. It makes the "I can't remember what a 'p' looks like" moments a little easier for me to handle if she can sit down and sound out a story. Granted, there were only 23 words in the story, but it was still a story!!!
The bad days are usually directly related to how much of this is happening..
As sorry as I feel for her when she cries and says that she can't concentrate, I do think it's good for her. She's learning to block things out in order to get things accomplished.
All in all, school is going great.
I didn't know if I'd ever be able to say that when we started in last fall.
3 comments:
I must say, "I understand!" :) PTL for the good days! -Brenda H.
I second the motion! :) On the good days - it ALL comes into perspective. We forget so easily....
And from 20+ years of experience, I can say that it averages out to an A+!! You forget the bad days and praise God that they learned to read (until you can't get them out of a book)! ---Karen
Post a Comment