Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Will!!!!

Dear Will~
Today is the day.  Your day.  The day of the birthday cake...though you won't be having a cake, it'll be a pie instead.  Sorry.  We've had enough cake for the week.

I got side tracked.

This is it.  You are now a great big four year old little boy.  That kind of contradicts itself, but it's all true.  You think you're big, I think you're little...my baby for now.

I don't know how big you were when you were born.  I don't know what time you were born.  I don't even really know for sure where you were born.  It's kind of sad, cause a mommy is supposed to know that kind of stuff. 

Instead of discussing how cute you were as a baby (I'm sure you were adorable) and how tiny you were, we'll likely discuss your first mommy.  Your birth mom. 

We'll talk about how much she must have loved you.  She carried you in her tummy, and then gave you to someone else cause she knew she couldn't give you the kind of life you deserved.  We'll wonder what she is doing right now.  We'll say a few prayers for her.  We'll go to your bedroom to look at the pictures of her that are hanging on your wall. 

Today is kind of a bittersweet day for me, your forever mommy.  I'm so thankful that God gave you to us to care for....but my heart breaks for your first mommy.  I know she must miss you.  Probably today she is really wondering about you.  I wish that we could talk to her.  Show her your picture.  Let her know that we love you...and her. 

For just a little bit, we're going to pretend that she is going to read this letter.  I'm going to describe you to her.  I'm going to show her a few pictures....and hopefully she'll be able to tell what a delightful little boy you really are.  Sometimes a little monster, but mostly delightful!!!

First, I want her to see your smile.  Maybe it looks like hers.  It's a beautiful smile (I have to say that now when you're still to little to care that I called it beautiful).

(She can rest assurred that we usually comb your hair....)

Then she needs to take a close look at your eyes.  Chocolate eyes.  I could eat them up.
                                   

Then.  She needs to know how helpful you are around here.  You snap green beans for Mommy (a job that Mommy might give you simply to occupy you for a couple hours, but we won't tell her that...we'll let her think that you volunteer). 


You help Daddy with whatever jobs he is doing.


You make sure to weed-eat for us around all our trees.


You have man-talks with Daddy...I assume learning how to be a man.  I've never been invited to sit in on one of those chats, cause, you know, I'm a girl.


You love your big sister.  Sure, you have your fair share of spats (okay, more than your fair share) but you two would be lost without each other.



You love to eat....except salad, but we won't go there.


You have an infectious giggle.


You are a little too adventerous for this mommy's taste, but I'm sure that we'll get through it.


You love to snuggle.  Especially right after you wake up from a "long sleep" as you call it.


That's you.

All boy.  Mostly fun.  Sometimes not so fun. 

We love you and are so thankful that you live here in Ohio with us.....

Love~
Mommy

By the way.  You are super sweet when you are sleeping, too.  You only snore about every other night...but at least then we know you are sleeping and not up half the night playing as you are prone to do. 

1 comment:

lisa said...

This made me smile, Jody. I get so sad on Carson's bday thinking about his mom. I know she must wonder about him and I wish she could see the neat (mostly) kiddo he is.

Will is darling! And he does look 100% b o y !!