I eluded to the fact that last week was a busy one. I wasn't kidding.
I don't think I can even come close to putting it all on 'paper' but I'm gonna try for the sake of my 'diary'.
You don't have to read it if you don't want to. I won't feel bad. In fact, I won't ever even know it.
Monday. It was a normal day, I think. Jason wasn't in the field quite yet so he was out the door about 7:00 and home again for lunch at 12:00. The children did their chores, the boys played for a little while Addie did school, and they all took naps from 10:30-12:00. Or something like that. Lunch over, the children played. Jason hauled several tractor bucket loads of decomposed cow manure from the pile behind the barn and we spent the afternoon spreading it on my flowerbeds. That evening after supper we went to the greenhouse around the corner from us and bought a multitude of flowers. Went home and started planting. Went in the house about 10:00 which meant that the children got to bed roughly two hours later than normal.
Some ladies don't like it when their husbands are home all the time, but frankly? I love it!!! What more could I ask for than to see my best friend walk in the door several times a day rather than just at 5:00 in the evening?! Plus. It sometimes offers me a break as he is able to take one or two children with him frequently.
Tuesday. Jason was out the door at normal time and the children did their chores. Does this sound familiar? Anyway. We skipped school. Bad teacher, I suppose, but sometimes a little break is a much needed thing at this house. Instead, we headed off to the greenhouse again where we bought a multitude more flowers. Went home, got most of them planted before the rain came....but it actually never did come. It split before it reached our house, which meant I had to water the flowers in myself. Lunch was normal and then the abnormal happened. Jason was able to start working in the field. Quite abnormal for this spring. In a typical year the planting is almost done. This year? They have about 1/10 of the crops planted. I can't really complain. There is nothing that we can do about it, but it would be nice to have our potential income in the ground!! That night, Jason was home for supper as they were rained out of the field where they were.
Wednesday. A long awaited day for Addie. One week before, I had taken her down the road to the school where she will attend next year to be tested. The test didn't go too great, but that's another topic for another day. Anyway. The test administrator advised that we get her eyes checked. This was the day of her eye doctor appointment. The day that she was sure she would be receiving her first REAL pair of glasses. The morning went normally and we headed off to her appointment. Thankfully, Jason had 'offered' to keep Will (or was it that I volunteered his services?) so I only had to wrestle with Jack while in the doctor's office. Much to Addie's dismay, the doctor did not give her glasses. She has a bit of astigmatism + is far sided, but the doc didn't advise getting her glasses until she started to school full time. That gives us a few more months to be glasses free. I was elated. She not so much. To soothe her sorrow we headed to McDonalds for chicken nuggets and french fries. Then it was out on the time. When I only have two munchkins with me, we hit it hard. Still in town at supper time? Bummer. :) We picked up some foot longs from Subway and headed to the field to feed our men. That'd be Jason and Will, who tends to think that he's a man after spending a day with his daddy.
Thursday. The busiest day in the history of my life, I think. Maybe not quite, but it had to be a pretty close second. While eating breakfast, a meal that I am usually not overly chatty at, I asked Jason if he could possibly get the tiller out of the barn for me. He agreed, but then proceeded to til the garden for me. I didn't complain. He finally had to quit and the planting ensued. The children and I got the tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and potatoes planted. Need more area for the green beans, lima beans, and corn. The children were actually very helpful in accomplishing my tasks. We had to take Jason his lunch due to his forgetful wife forgetting to pack it, get home, do the chores, mow the yard, get everyone showered and dressed nicely, race Jason his supper, and get to my nieces school for her kindergarten graduation by 7:00. We made it, but it was a close one. Afer the graduation, we headed to Dad and Mom's for some celabratory brownies and then home to crash into bed.
Friday. Normal morning. Chores, school, play, naps. Had to take Jason his lunch once again as I once again forgot to pack it. Hopefully one of these days I'll remember. Don't have to anytime soon cause they are once again rained out. Anyway. We went on to town to pick up our milk. Back home to finish up the day with normal activities. Out to the pasture to do chores. Fed the children, partially, and had to stop when Jason called to say that they had been rained out. He was coming home for supper!!!! I wish I had pictures of the children when he pulled in the drive. I'm pretty sure that the screeches and victory dances could have been heard for miles around. I say the children. Really, I meant all of us. I tried to refrain from the screaming and the dances, but I was just as excited, if not more so, to see him come home as the children were. There's just nothing quite like seeing his pick-up turn into our drive...especially during farming season.
Saturday. We slept in a tad, but shouldn't have as they were back in the field pretty quick. After a late breakfast, the whole family....all five of us...headed to the pasture to work on setting up fence for this week. Two hours later we left the pasture and Jason raced out the door to the field. I spent the afternoon in the kitchen while Will swept the house and cleaned the bathroom and Addie baked up a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I have never been so thankful for such helpful children in my life. In fact. Addie even took it upon herself to rock Jack to sleep when she saw how busy I was. Not that she was upset about that.
Jason took off from the field about 3:00 to come home and chore (a fact that I didn't complain about), we ate supper at 5:00, and he headed back to the field taking with him two of our three children. All were happy beyond words at the arrangment. As much as I love our children, sometimes a break is simply a very needed thing. While Addie and Will were gone, I still had Jack to deal with though. No problem. He occupied himself with unloading my clothes pin bag and depositing them at odd spots all over our house. While it added to my work, it also kept him entertained for well over an hour. It was a win/win. :)
That was our week. It went quickly and I made more trips out and about in those brief six days than I typically do in three weeks.
But. I'm thankful. I'm thankful that Jason at least got started in the field. I'm thankful that I don't mind doing the chores. I'm thankful that I'm not scared of cows as I was the first year we had them. I'm thankful that I have a husband who knows me well enough to know when I could use a break from the chattering. I'm thankful that I have a husband who is understanding when meals are 45 minutes late. I'm thankful that the Lord has placed me where I am.
Now. If I can just remember all that on the days when thankfulness is not at the top of my list.
2 comments:
Jody, ur a very blessed woman to be in the position ur in. Many women would like to have all that u have. My hubs works from home 2 days a week and we love it, I wish he could be here more. It does my heart good to hear u talk of how excited you get to see Jason's pickup turn in the drive. Our hubs work hard for us to get to stay at home, and we need to appreciate all they do.
You're taking care of some real jewels and they will always have good memories of Mama!Keep on keepin' on!
`
Inspiring! Keep writing. I may not comment all the time, but I'm gleaning for sure!
Post a Comment