Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Monday, April 30, 2012

Calling All Prayer Warriors

Some of you I don't know very well. Some of you I don't know at all. Some of you I know as well as I know the back of my own hand.

Regardless, I have a request to make of you.

Could you please pray? Our second born child is struggling with life in general right now. We are fairly confident that we are dealing with some serious attachment issues. Something that I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd deal with with him.

But we are. Actually I am.

With Jason? He's a normal little boy. Happy. As obedient as a five year old can be. Loving. Laughing. With me? Total opposite. Screaming. Refusing flat-out to do anything that is asked of him. And now ramping it up even more to things that I won't mention on a public blog.

Suffice it to say, the relationship between me and my son is far from good currently. Could you please pray? Pray for Will.

Pray that he starts believing me when I say I love him and am thankful that he is my son. Pray that he can understand that just because more children join a family doesn't mean that mommy's love is stretched so thin that there is not enough to go around. Pray that Satan looses his grip on our dear son and that Will allows Jesus to take over his life.

And pray for me as well? That I can lean on Jesus continually. That I can love Will rather than begin to push him away. That I can hug him and kiss him and simply love him unconditionally no matter what kind of issues I deal with from day to day.

And for Jason? As he tries to keep his wife out of the insane assylum.

And for Addie and Jack? As they watch and try to keep their normal lives in tact.

This past week has been worse than normal.

Why? All I know is that I took him with me (rather than either of the other two) when I met some friends for supper. You would think that that singled out treatment would help our relationship. You would think that a special ice cream date with mommy would help rather than hinder.

Instead, it causes a whole new batch of issues. It's proof that mommy loves him just as much as she loves the other children...and for that one evening he allowed me to get into his heart. Aparently I got too close, for starting the next morning the actions ramped up and haven't slowed down since. You see? The thing about a child who is struggling with attachment issues is that they will do everything they can to prove to themselves that mommy (most often the female caregiver as she is the most available and the most involved in his/her life) really doesn't love him/her. To prove that mommy is just bluffing when she says I love you. To prove that no matter what he/she is in complete control of his/her life.

Right now, Will seems to be full of anger. He will do anything and everything just to see if he can make mommy upset. Unfortunately, sometimes it works and that is the absolute worst thing that can happen. If I get upset, he wins. He then believes that he is in control rather than mommy being in control.

It's a fine line. Please pray that Jesus will fill us with his wisdom. That He will bless us as a family and that we will come out on the other side of this strong in our love for each other.

Thank you so very much. I know that with prayers of many and a little professional help we can press on to full relationship restoration with our sweet little boy.

14 comments:

Colista said...

I will be praying for your dear family. I am sorry you are going through this right now.
Sounds so hard.

Melissa said...

Jody. I am right there with you, so I hear you loud and clear. In fact, I could've written your post, almost word-for-word -- or pretty close, anyway. It's been tough in our household for the past week+ and I have been at my wits' end SO many times (like, every 20 minutes or so). Anyway, there's no point in reiterating what you've already posted, but all the way down in my neck of the woods, with my very own child who I never DREAMED would have (what seems to be) attachment issues, I'm right there with you.

A couple of things I've found that have helped (at least my perspective) is reading the book "The Connected Child." Also, www.empoweredtoconnect.org has some great short videos and some info (as well as a Christian study guide that goes along with The Connected Child). I'm not sure if you're familiar with those resources, but if you aren't, I highly recommend them.

Also, if you just need to talk, feel free to email me. I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk, rather than write, sometime.

Hang in there. I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you are your little family! -Lynae

Unknown said...

Oh, Jody, I will pray.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, have been following you for about 18 months now and never commented, but wanted you to know that you and your family will be in my prayers. You are wise to enlist the assistance of a professional in dealing with this issue, I have to wonder if your son might have a personality disorder. Anyway, there is no situation to difficult for Jesus! Hang in there, you are a wise and thoughtful mommy and all your children are blessed to be yours.
~ Jade in Seattle

Kelley said...

Hang in there Jody! We will keep you and your family in our prayers!

lyndie said...

Jody,
I haven't commented much, but I hear you. We have a "spirited" child and I'm glad you posted this. I too have difficulty not reacting sometimes to her efforts at control. I am guilty of wanting to be in control as much as she does. I'm praying for Jesus to change my heart as much as hers.
I'm also glad another commented linked to a resource that I'm looking forward to checking out. Mommy hearts could always use a little bit more encouragement. Hang in there!

lyndie said...

Jody, I'm glad you posted about this. We've been experiencing some similar issues with our kiddo off and on recently.
I noticed another commenter suggested a resource that I'm eager to check out.
Praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been following your story for a few years. Have you considered if there has been any changes in diet, or allergies? Our son (adoped from Russia) also reacts harshly when things are out of whack. Prayers to you.

Danyal said...

Prayers Jody for peace and understanding for both you and Will. Prayers that God will open his tiny heart and things will get better.

Kelley said...

I don't know you but I will be praying for you! It sounds tough - don't give up! Satan wants the hearts of our children... but nothing, NOTHING is greater than the love of Jesus! He is made perfect in our weakness.

Havilah said...

Dearest friend...
I am so sorry. Let me just say that we 100% know what you are talking about. It will be 5 years in June that our boys have been home from Liberia, and one of ours still stretches us more that we can nearly take at times. I believe he is finally bonded, but has so many other hard things from past abuse/ADHD/sensory and processing issues,things that he can't help...that the challenge seems hardly lessened some days. All I have to say is this...OUR GOD IS POWERFUL. And if He chooses to allow this season of life for you and your son...BELIEVE THAT HE WILL SEE YOU THROUGH TO THE END. There is the "other side" of this conflict. THERE IS. Believe it with all our heart..even if the "other side" is only peace in your own heart, instead of rectification of the problem. I will ask the Lord that He will give you a miraculous unconditional love that comes only from Him...the Source of all love. I know He will, precious sister/friend...because He does it for me...and I'm as faithless as they come at times. Love you. Hang onto Jesus.

Kristi said...

Love, hugs, prayers!! I second the recommendation for anything you can take the time to listen to on empowered to connect website. It's all free and so helpful.

Judy Deaton said...

Thank you for your honesty, and your wisdom! WE are just getting started on this journey with 2 five year old girls from China. We have the language barrier on top of other issues:( We have been home for 8 weeks now, and some days I feel like I'm the one who is having trouble bonding. I have read your blog up to here from the most recent post. Your blog was sent to me from a friend who understands, and thought I would apprecitate your experience in dealing with tough days:( I will be praying for you when I am praying for strength for myself. (((HUGS)))