Let me start this off by saying that I am NOT a parenting expert. Not one little stitch. Most nights I go to bed and lie there thinking about our day, beating myself up for the bad ways that I handled this or that. Some days I go to bed thinking that if it weren't for all my mess-ups perhaps we wouldn't have so many issues around here. But then I remind myself that that is precisely what the devil wants me to think.
No that reminder doesn't make it any easier, but it does make me remember that I am human. We will make mistakes. The key, if I can just remember, is to ask the children for forgiveness when the mistakes are made. They need to know that I am not perfect and I don't expect them to be perfect either. They need to feel accepted no matter what.
So. We've established that major point. I. Am. Not. A. Parenting. Expert.
Now we'll move on to Walter. I was amazed at how many e-mails I received asking how to deal with that Walter stuff. Why ask me? :) It hit us like a ton of bricks. Sure, we knew that we were employing those tactics far too often, so it shouldn't have been so enlightening, but it was.
A refresher.
W arning
A rguing
L ecturing
T hreatening
E xcusing (the behavior of the child) and E xcuses (from the child)
R eminding
I really don't know how to deal with all of these. Sorry. All I know is what they told us at the ranch.
The Warning is simply something that we as parents have to train ourselves not to do. Actually they all are. Rather than passing out warnings, go straight to the ticket. Instead of saying 'Make sure you're picking up the sticks as I asked you to do!', say, "Uh-oh! Sit strong til you're ready to do the job you were assigned!' Don't tell them what the job was. They know. When they've sat strong for about 30 seconds, grab them in a bear hug, tell them how proud of them you are for sitting strong, hold their hands while asking them what happened, grab them in another bear hug and commend them for telling the truth (never say thank you for telling the truth as that is expected...just say good job telling the truth), and send them on to do their job again. Again, just passing on exactly what they told us....none of this is original to me.
If you know me very well at all, you would know that I am NOT a huggy person. I like my space and this method of many, many hugs all day long is stretching me to the max. But the children LOVE it. Why didn't I do this before?!
The Arguing is something that both our children are really good at. If there was a medal for it, one of them would have certainly won it. :/ We knew it wasn't acceptable, but how in the world do you get it to stop? Good question. One that we asked during at least one of our therapy sessions. They told us that it was simple. :) We were so glad, but found out that it wasn't as simple as they claimed. Just have the child give themselves a 'mouth hug'. In other words, cover their mouth with their hand for several minutes. When the time is up and the mouth hug was done correctly...without whining or fit throwing (as ours do and we have to tack on some extra time) scoop them up in a big ole bear hug and commend them for the spectacular mouth hug!! Then ask what happened, commend them for telling the truth, and scoop them up in yet another hug!! Yep, more hugging.
The mouth hug is also used for interrupting, talking back, disrespect, unnecessary chatter, etc.
Oh, and to slip something in here that is huge for us. They never use the words punishment or consequence. Both of those have a negative connotation. Instead, they use the word 'restitution'. If your little Johnny smacks his sister across the head, he has to do something kind for her....make her bed the next morning, pick up her plate after the meal, give her a head rub, give her a back rub, etc. Try to make the child think of the restitution so they are using their brain rather than using your brain. The same happens if they talk back to you, are disrespectful, etc. They give you the backrub. Ahhhhh. Can't say as I mind that!!
Then we come to the Lecturing. Bad subject for me. Sad but true, I am a super lecturer. I would win the medal on that one. It's not uncommon for me to...or should I say 'it wasn't uncommon' ;)...lecture and lecture and lecture. Often the children's eyes would glaze over and when I got my frustration out and asked them what I said? Not one clue. They had moved on to what they had planned when Mommy was done with the lecture. You know the one. "I told you to pick up the toys and what did I find you doing? Playing. That's right. I don't know why you can't listen the first time. Why don't you pay attention to your job? Oh this upsets me. Pick up those toys and get it done NOW. What did I just tell you?" And they look at me and finally say, "Um. Well. Um. I don't know. Did you say to pick up the toys?" And I go off again on the value of listening and paying attention when someone is talking to them. Yep. (And yet, I find that I am the one who has taught them to not pay attention to the person who is talking to them. How often do they come to tell me something that is so important to them and I don't take the time to look into their eyes while they're talking. In fact, my back may be completely turned as fixing supper is so much more important than hearing about the bird nest that they just found on the ground.)
Why am I the lucky winner on airing all the bad stuff from our house. And here you all thought we were perfect. :) If you have a blog, could you please air your dirty laundry on it so I don't feel so alone?!
Back to the Lecturing. We were told, in short simple phrases, to keep things short and simple. Yep. It's just that easy. :) Skip the lecture. Use simple phrases like, "What were you asked to do?" "Where are you supposed to be?" That throws it right back at the child, they have to use their brains to remember what they were asked to do, and we can keep our cool and still have smiling mouths and eyes.
Just that simple. Unless you're me and struggle with that simple stuff. :/
I think I'll stop there for now on W.A.L.T.E.R. He is one large man and quite frankly? My brain is on overload.
I'll touch just a little bit on the sitting strong. It's not intended to be used as a punishment. It's just what it says. Getting strong. They stress big-time the weak versus strong children. Weak children need a little help to stop throwing the fits, having scream fests, flopping on the floor for hours because they were asked to pick up toys (here you go, peeking into our house again). If any of that happens, escort them kindly and gently (with smiling lips AND eyes) to their 'get strong spot'. At our house we have three rugs in three different rooms, one for each child. They know the color of their rug. They find it, and sit indian style on it, while folding their hands in a certain way in front of them. I really don't know how to explain the hands. Cross them over in front of you with palms together and hands folded, then flip them towards you so the fingers are right under the chin. Another way to do it is put opposite hand on opposite shoulder, forming an x in front of your chest. Don't make a big deal of it. I have a child right now who has been flopping around on his rug for nearly two hours...all because he doesn't want to sit strong. :) I tell him occasionally that I'm glad he's taking his time as that way I know he's good and strong when he finally decides to do it. Once they finally do decide to sit strong, only make them do it for about 30 seconds. When they get to the point that it is no big deal, then you know that they are truly feeling strong again.
A little example of how to sit strong that I snapped last week...
And just so you know. Our children are definitely classified as weak. Though they are getting stronger every single day!!!! When dealing with a child who has a larger survival mode than logic mode, they are naturally going to be weaker at making wise choices. The sitting strong while crossing arms and legs actually makes both sides of the brain function together and therefore helps build the good parts of the brain while shrinking the survival parts.
Yes. This all takes a ton of time. Which is precisely why you may not see me out and about for a little while. Building strong children is a huge task, but so essential to having a functional family.
If you care to read more in depth and glean some more ideas on logical, fun ways to build strong children, check out the book, "When Love is Not Enough" by Nancy Thomas. I can see eyebrows raising even as I type. Sadly, sometimes just loving a child is simply not enough to help them heal. It sounds good. But we tried it for four years and love alone didn't pull us through our struggles. We LOVE our children. Most definitely. But it takes more than that for hurt children to understand that we REALLY DO love them. We really will never abandon them as they were abandoned (or feel like they were abandoned) by their birth parents. Not all adopted children deal with this stuff. It depends a lot on personality and how they view their birth parents.
In fact, this stuff isn't limited to adopted children at all. There are many, many 'home-made' children who have the exact same issues. Believe it or not.
And now I must go. This has dragged on long enough and likely there's only two, or maybe one, person who will actually read it through to the end. :) If our therapy can help one person out there, it was worth my time to type this up.
Blessings to you all!!
16 comments:
Thank you for taking the time to share! And for airing your dirty laundry...you are not alone :) It's giving me a lot to think about as we've had a some issues here an there as well.
Praying for strength for you to persevere, especially in the coming weeks when baby comes and you are getting even less sleep!
I am SOO glad you blogged this! We have a struggling child as well and I am excited to learn some new methods to deal with some of our issues. I am also excited (my son will NOT be excited) to read of the mouth hug. We will definitely be implementing this - probably as soon as he is up from nap. :) You are not the only one with dirty laundry - we have it too, unfortunately. You have blessed me with encouragement and new tools to implement in the bonding struggle. Blessings to you!
oh, and I'm totally doing the sitting strong thing. Have you ever read "Dandelions on my pillow, Butcher Knife Beneath"? Your whole post reminded me of methods the author used with her hurting children.
I LOVE that you are so honest Jody! And I am thankful you shared as one or two or so of my home-made (;)-love it)children just may benefit from a couple of these ideas also! We'll keep praying for you all. And p.s- i love thinking about what a HUGE encouragement & help you will be for others going through similar rough times in the future.
I read to the end. And we have a TON of dirty laundry around here. I should probably listen to you and blog about it but I'm dragging my feet on that one! It might make ME look bad - as in it most definitely would. Sigh. Raising these children is our most important work and I fail daily. Prayers going up for you - and all of us mommas!
Thank you Jody, excellent post! And since I don't have a blog, I can tell you that I did so well this morning at being a calm, kind, even smiling parent...UNTIL he tried to hurt his little sister. I was not calm any longer, it is a button pusher that sends me to the moon. We'll be doing the sitting strong, lots of hugs and mouth hugs. And if you get the chance I would really, really like to know the name of the place (private email is great) as I would be interested in going with my son to get a week of training for me. Thank you again!
Oh my....yes I read to the end and I am tired....:( and of COURSE we have dirty laundry too:( {sadly}
But I thank you so much for taking the time to share.....I will have to go over it quite a few times until I "get it all" but, by His grace we can begin to implement....
Many blessings from Him to you is our prayer!!
You are so not alone when it comes to dirty laundry...I just don't have the nerve to post it publically because I don't know if I could handle the ridicule. I read EVERY single word and I am so proud of what you as a couple are doing to help those three lovelies survive, change, and grow.
Your posts are read out loud in my house whenever a new one come...praying and loving you guys from afar..
Read it all the way through and was hoping for more.....it's the only dirty laundry I've enjoyed for years!!!!HA HA! Oh my....if you saw my "dirty laundry" pile.....you would NOT be worried about airing yours:( I will be praying for you all, as we are all on this crazy journey together! May the Lord Bless you for your honesty! You have helped me for one. Now if I can figure out how to apply some of this so that 2 five yr. olds that speak almost no english can understand........I'll have indeed made progress!
Thank you Jody for sharing! I soaked up every last word to the end.....and will soak up any other tips you have to share from your experience! Sounds like ideas we need to implement here!Love and prayers to you! ~Sarah
Jody - There was more than once that I was in tears for you while reading through this heart felt post about these hard things you are going through right now. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write it out and sharing it with us! Our children are all 'home-grown' but we still struggle daily with the Walter syndrome! You have been and will be on our prayer list! God bless you with strength these last weeks of your pregnancy.
Oh Jody, there is so many helpfuls insights in these posts, thank you for sharing the experience and the blessings you've received. Five year old fit throwing and teenage arguing are on my list to work on...
I really admire your transparency and courage. I have been learning alot of similar insights recently in helping our daughter heal. I really appreciate your honesty and balanced perspective. Hearing about your proactive approach has encouraged me and I'm looking forward to trying some of the tools you have talked about. I've also recently been encouraged by a couple of books that would fit in well with the approach your family is using : The Connected Child (by Karen Purvis, David R. Cross and Wendy Sunshine) and The Out-of-Sync Child (by Carol Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller). *Hugs* to all of you. :)
Jody- I can not tell you how much this blessed me. The part about laying in bed thinking through the day... yeah, that's me! I was talking to Shana and doing my own "unloading" when she directed me to your blog. I so often feel like such a failure as a mom to bio kids, that being an adoptive mom looks challenging to say the least! I love the mouth hug idea. Thank you. Thank you.
Jody you no idea how grateful I am to Laura for pointing me to your blog. I have attatchment training and was still blindsided by it. This has been such a God moment for me. Thank you.
Post a Comment