Life With Littles

Life With Littles

Monday, April 25, 2011

Resurrection Day

The day finally arrived and not a moment too soon. We got up bright and early after getting to bed ridiculously late.

It showed in the children. Addie finally stumbled down the steps 15 minutes after the first time she was awakened...but still the first thing out of her mouth was, "Can we roll away the stone now?"

I had to smile. Her eyes were squinting, her hair was disastrous, her mouth was frowning. But still she wanted to see that the tomb is empty.

We didn't roll the stone right then. We had approximately 15 minutes til we needed to be sitting in the car heading to Sonrise services.

We were only a couple minutes late.

Sonrise service was well worth the effort of creeping out of bed a mere five and a half hours after we collapsed into it. Well worth it.

The power of the Resurrection is simply amazing. What hope we have in knowing that Jesus died on the cross so we don't have to.....but what a greater hope in knowing that HE ROSE AGAIN!!! He defeated the power of death and arose from the grave. He is victorious!!!!!!!

We left Sonrise service about 9:30 and headed off to church. Sadly, our children were nearly churched out by then and their little bottoms really struggled to sit still. :) Can't say that I blamed them.

After church we headed home to eat our lunch. Jason's family is often together for Easter, but this year it didn't work out. Uncle Ivan (Jason's brother) joined us.

It was delicious, if I must say so myself. All but the dessert. This year I got ambitious and made the traditional Russian Easter cake, Kulich. It tasted great if you like the combination of brandy, orange zest, orange juice, yeast, flour, cardamom, beans from a vanilla bean, nutmeg, and raisins.

I don't. Like that combination, that is. I think maybe it was the smell. Only two little tablespoons of brandy and the whole cake smelled rotten.

Jason, Ivan, and Will liked it. Either that or they wanted to make me feel good.

Not only did it taste odd, it looked odd. The recipe said to bake it in a coffee can. You can imagine the odd look it had about it. You don't need to imagine it though. I took a picture.

After lunch was complete and we all felt like rolly polly pigs the men and children (minus Jack) headed out the door to do chores. Nearly three whole hours to myself. Jack was napping.

So what did I do, you ask? I caught up on corresponding with friends. No, I didn't get out my stationary (I sold that at the garage sale), I got out the computer and composed some e-mails. None were long. None were overly newsy.

It felt so good. Marked it off my list. How sad is it that I had "send notes to adoptive friends" on my list. How does life get so busy that we (or maybe it's just me) no longer have the time to contact our friends.

Is that how it is with my best friend of all? Jesus?

Sometimes, yes. Sad but true. Some days I get to the end of the day, about 11:00PM and wonder how it can possibly be that late. How did I possibly get to this hour of the day without cracking open my Bible one single time? How do I plan on the relationship growing without taking the time to learn to know Him? How do I plan to maintain the friendship if I don't take the time to sit down for a few minutes with His Word open before me?

I could give you all kinds of excuses. You know. I'm busy. I fix three meals a day. I take care of the needs of three children every day. I am on call for my husband every day. I...... Notice how they all start with "I"?

Could it be that I simply need to straighten out my priorities a tad? Could it be that I need to put that on my daily list? That sounds odd, but it does seem that if it's not on my 'list' it doesn't get accomplished. Could it be that I need to head to bed a little earlier so I can get up a little earlier for my quiet time with the Lord?

I think so. Yesterday, Resurrection Day, made me stop and think.

While I was diligently composing e-mails, I had to take a gander at my Bible sitting right beside the computer.

Starting today, I'm gonna plant my acorn. I'm gonna let my old habit of not picking up my Bible die. I'm gonna make it a point to spend time getting to know the One who makes life worth living.

The rest of yesterday went pretty quickly. The men and children came back. We popped popcorn, ate ice cream, and drank grape juice.

Jason sat down with the children and discussed with them again what the true meaning of Easter really is. It isn't about getting together with family. It isn't about eating a big, gigantic meal. It isn't about just going to church for four hours.

It is about the empty tomb!!!

Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

amy said...

That was a beautiful post Jody. I absolutely love your recreation of the tomb ~ I might need to borrow that idea for next year!

As for the Russian cake, it sounds fabulous and I'm going to try that too. It so reminds me of my Grandmommy, who baked all her sweet bread in coffee cans. She insisted it was more moist that way. My cousin is now a pastry chef and she honors our Grandmother by baking her sweet bread in coffee cans at her restaurant!

The pictures at the top of your blog of your 3 children is THE CUTEST!

marti k said...

well written, jody! and, i love to see your involvement with your kids! Showing them the tomb and the easter story! remarkable!it will be forever on their mind and how you shared it together.Saw u at sonrise service and we was sitting in bad spot, so we quickly made a dive to a dry and warm van. Shared our easter din w/ J's mom and dad.I love to see them kids sitting next to you! they just belong!!!!right where they are!