Quite some time back I mentioned that I jumped into a new role in a newly formed non-profit organization called Orphans At Play. I'm still swimming around, simply trying to keep my head above the water.
It's really something that I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined that I would volunteer for.
Never.
But God had other plans.
Obviously, our hearts are drawn to orphans....the orphans in Russia in particular. I don't know why there, other than the simple fact that all of our children were born and partially raised there.
Part of my heart still is there.
I can picture the time when we took Addie from the only home she could remember. I looked back at the baby home, tears threatening, and glanced up at the window of her room.
There, standing in the window with the curtain pulled back, was a small child peering out at us. The caregiver came quickly to snatch the child away from the window, but I'll never forget that picture. It's locked in my mind. The yellowed lace curtain held back by a pudgy little hand. The sad little face peering down on the driveway.
Right there in the top center window. While my camera wasn't quick enough to catch the little face, my mind certainly was.
I'll always wonder what thoughts were running through the mind of that child.
I'll never know.
I remember another time in her baby home when there were several children standing around us. We were in her room snapping a group picture with the children who lived with her. Several of them got as close to us as they could before the caregivers came along...all calling us Mama and Papa.
I wanted to snatch them all up and race out the door.
The children sat around their little tables with us standing behind them...but two of the little punkins wouldn't turn around to look at the camera. They were too busy looking at us.
I wish I knew exactly what was racing through their little minds.
I know that I can't bring home every single orphan in Russia. I know that I can't bring home every child that we left behind...even in the three baby homes that we were in.
I know that. But it doesn't make it any easier. Rarely does a day pass without me thinking of the children who don't have families. The children who watch little friends leave with new families. The children who perhaps wonder if their turn will ever come.
So. Since I can't bring them all home with me, I'll do the next best thing. I'll pray for them...and I'll do all I can to let them know from afar that they are loved.
We're in the beginning stages of this Orphans At Play thing. There's going to be several fund raisers launched in an effort to fund the grandma programs there in the Vlad area. I'll be sure to let you know when that time comes.
However, before that time, I have a question. It's a simple question.
Very simple.
Part of my 'job' is to make sure that we get a shipment of diaper rash cream (any brand) to the baby homes in Primorsky Region (Vlad and surrounding areas) every month. That is totally dependent on when families are traveling and on how much they can carry with them, but I have to have the stuff to send on when it's time.
And now, the question.
Would there be any interest in making some pledges? A one time donation of any amount would be great, but I'd really like to have some pledges on a monthly basis.
Not tons. Perhaps just 2 tubes. Maybe 5. 10 if you'd like.
It doesn't matter to me.
All that matters to me is that I have the stuff to send over there as I have promised to do.
How is this loving on the orphans, you ask? Perhaps it's not a hug. Not a kiss. But at least those little babies will have bottoms that no longer hurt.
That has to be something.
So.
Any interest?
At all?
If so, you can either leave a comment or you can e-mail me at jjgarber03@yahoo.com. I can get you my address so you know where to send it every month.
If ya'll pledge to exceed the needed amount each month...don't worry. That just means that we'll be able to expand the delivery route. Instead of just one baby home reaping the benefits, we could have several baby homes with happier babies.
How I would love to inform my cohorts that we have too many tubes for just the one baby home.
Thank you in advance.
God bless you all.

4 comments:
Beautifully said.
Love that we can work on this entire project together! You have such a great heart Jody!
Jody, I thought I had your email address but can't find it. Do you mind sending it to me? slb52063@juno.com Sherri
Would love to help in any way we can...will ask my family to get involved too as they are local even! =)
You are doing an amazing thing for these kids!
Post a Comment